Collingwood star Jordan De Goey stands to lose a fortune if convicted over allegations of groping following a New York nightclub arrest.
Collingwood star Jordan De Goey stands to lose almost $6 million if convicted over his New York nightclub arrest.
The 25-year-old’s future in football has reached a crossroads after he pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and forcible touching before being stood down by his football club indefinitely on Sunday.
Video of De Goey partying inside a New York nightclub was posted to Instagram on Saturday just hours before he was taken into police custody following an alleged nightclub incident at the PHD Rooftop Lounge at the Dream Hotel at 2am local time on Saturday where New York police allege he “grabbed buttocks and vagina outside clothing without authority to do so of a 35-year-old female”.
The police statement alleges De Goey and friend Luke Dyson approached the woman on the dancefloor where they are alleged to have groped her before an alleged physical altercation with a 37-year-old man, who was allegedly punched and kicked.
De Goey fronted a New York judge on Sunday with reports he was wearing a bathrobe, the Halloween costume he had been wearing the previous night.
De Goey pleaded not guilty and is due to return to court on December 8, which is two days after Collingwood’s senior players are scheduled to return to training.
Dyson — a popular tattoo artist with 75,000 Instagram followers — has also been charged with forcible touching and assault.
Collingwood confirmed in a statement on Sunday De Goey has been stood down indefinitely on full pay.
The Collingwood star has been in America as part of a special pre-season training program as he heads into the most critical contract negotiation period of his career as an unrestricted free agent for the first time.
There had been speculation from Collingwood great Tony Shaw last month that De Goey could follow in Dustin Martin’s footsteps in signing a rich long-term deal worth $1 million per-season if able to take his form to another level in 2022.
Reports last month suggested De Goey could sign a five-year, $5 million deal as he made the call to appoint his firefighter brother-in-law Ryan Vague as his manager during future contract negotiations
The Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph on Monday morning told RSN’s Breakfast Club in Melbourne De Goey may have made a potential “$6 million mistake” if convicted.
As first reported by The Herald Sun, Collingwood would have grounds to tear up De Goey’s contract if convicted, according to leading lawyer David Galbally.
De Goey is in the final year of his contract with the Pies, reported to be worth $750,000 for the 2022 season, leaving him with a potential loss of $5,750,000 if convicted.
“I think it goes without saying, if those charges were upheld, he wouldn’t be playing for Collingwood again,” Ralph said on Monday.
“If these charges were upheld, it would almost be impossible for Collingwood to not move him on as an AFL player.”
De Goey in 2020 had his reported demands of a $1 million per-year deal knocked back by the club before agreement was reached on the two-year, $1.5 million deal that takes him through to the end of the 2022 season.
Collingwood’s earlier statement said De Goey is suspended from all club duties and is not able to use club facilities.
“Collingwood today stood Jordan De Goey down from its AFL program indefinitely,” the club said.
“The club will continue to pay De Goey under the terms of his contract until such time as an outcome to proceedings against him in the United States is reached or a more complete account of events is established.
“In the interim, De Goey will not be permitted to train or play with Collingwood or make use of club resources, staff or facilities.
“Collingwood is deeply disappointed by reports and events of the last 48 hours involving De Goey in the US. Given the circumstances, the club believes it is appropriate to remove him from the AFL program.
“Collingwood has been in contact with De Goey and his management today and has explained to both its decision.”
The club’s move came after the allegations that a 37-year-old man was left with a split lip after Dyson allegedly struck him with a glass bottle during the incident in New York.
De Goey and Dyson were reportedly arrested after the woman called police through the 911 emergency services hotline.
De Goey is required to check in once a week by phone and must appear in court in person.
The Herald Sun reported that even if De Goey accepted a six year probation for forcible touching, a charge which carries a maximum one year jail sentence, it would be categorised as a sex crime.
Dyson had earlier posted videos of their night out together on his Instagram Stories — showing De Goey dancing with his shirt off.
In 2018, De Goey was hit with an indecent assault charge stemming from an alleged incident in 2015. But by August, the charges were dropped and police were ordered to pay the athlete’s legal fees.
The Magpies player was also disciplined by the club in 2017 after he was involved in a fight that saw him break his hand. He initially gave the club a false story that he sustained the injury while playing with his dog, leading to Collingwood suspending him for three weeks — after his hand had fully healed — and handing him a $5000 fine.