The 2022 NFL Draft was once beautiful excellent to the Florida Gators, who had 3 gamers decided on, together with one within the first around.
Florida State too can brag about having a first-rounder. UCF had one participant picked, past due within the 6th around, and the Miami Hurricanes had a seventh-rounder.
But that was once it in an off yr for Florida schools.
Dade/Broward excessive faculties fared somewhat smartly as 4 from that class were given decided on, together with 3 in the second one around. In reality, two South Florida gamers had been selected on consecutive selections in Round 2.
Here’s a more in-depth have a look at the non-University of Miami gamers with native ties who were given decided on:
Florida cornerback Kair Elam went within the first around, twenty third total, to the Bills. Elam was once Florida’s 8th first-rounder previously 9 years.
▪ FSU defensive finish Jermaine Johnson II was once picked within the first around, twenty sixth total, via the New York Jets. ESPN’s Mel Kiper had him ranked eleventh total. The Jets had him 8th on their board, and so they traded as much as get him.
The Seminoles have had a minimum of one participant drafted in 39 consecutive drafts, the eighth-longest streak within the country. They have had 46 first-rounders, which ranks most sensible 10 amongst all techniques.
Johnson was once the ACC Player of the Year and a first-team All-American in 2021, generating 18 tackles for losses and 12 sacks. He had 5 TFL and 3 sacks towards Miami.
▪ In the second one around, at select No. 50, extensive receiver Tyquan Thornton was once decided on via the Patriots. Thornton, who performed at Miami’s Booker T. Washington, had a occupation yr at Baylor in 2021, catching 62 passes for 948 yards and 10 touchdowns. He made second-team All-Big-12 and left Baylor most sensible 10 in program historical past in receiving yards and touchdowns.
▪ In the second one around, at No. 63, ex-Miami Central working again James Cook was once picked up via the Bills. He gained a countrywide identify with the Georgia Bulldogs final season, and a Super Bowl identify with Buffalo is now inside of his seize.
In 2021, Cook had occupation highs in yards dashing (728) and touchdowns (seven). He averaged 6.7 yards according to rush.
▪ The subsequent select went to the Broncos, who picked ex-St. Thomas Aquinas defensive finish Nik Bonitto, who performed his faculty ball at Oklahoma. In the previous 3 years, he produced 33 tackles for losses, 19.5 sacks, seven passes defensed and 3 turnovers.
Bonitto began 30 consecutive video games to near his occupation, making second-team All-American in 2020 and third-team All-American in 2021.
▪ In the 1/3 around, at select 95, Florida defensive take on Zachary Carter went to the Bengals. Carter, who had 7.5 sacks final yr, is a high-motor defender who is anticipated to compete for rotational taking part in time instantly.
▪ In the fourth around, at select No. 107, Florida working again Dameon Pierce was once picked via the Texans. He rushed for 574 yards and a 5.7 moderate in 2021.
▪ In the 6th around, at No. 217, ex-American Heritage linebacker James Houston was once picked via the Lions. He began his faculty occupation at Florida however completed at Jackson State.
▪ In the 6th around, at No. 220, UCF were given at the board with defensive take on Kalia Davis getting decided on via the 49ers.
Kiper stated Davis would’ve been a second- or third-round select had he now not suffered a season-ending knee damage final yr. Davis, who got here to UCF as a linebacker, additionally overlooked the 2020 season because of COVID issues.