Thefts of the sought-after automotive section went up 234-percent from 2020-to-2021 in Kentucky
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Lexington Police on Monday after tips about the way to cut back your chance of turning into a sufferer of a catalytic converter robbery.
Why are thieves focused on catalytic converters? The automotive section comprises 3 treasured minerals: platinum, palladium, and rhodium. Over the previous two years, the worth of those minerals has noticed a step upward thrust in price. It is estimated that Kentucky has noticed a 234% build up in catalytic converter thefts from 2020 to 2021, in step with Lexington Police.
To assist clear up and save you those crimes, the Lexington Police Department has devoted detectives who specialize within the catalytic converter thefts. Since January 2021, the police division says those detectives have solved over 100 instances involving thefts of catalytic converters, leading to 20 people being charged for the quite a lot of crimes.
While detectives are proceeding to paintings on catalytic converter robbery instances, they’re issuing the observe tricks to assist people save you these kind of crimes from taking place to them.
- Consider putting in a catalytic converter anti-theft tool for your car. These units make the car’s converter tougher to take away, and no more horny to doable thieves.
- Engrave your car VIN and speak to quantity into your catalytic converter or paint your catalytic converter a vibrant colour to make it much less horny to doable thieves.
- Try to park in a well-lit space and/or if you’ll, set up motion-activated lighting fixtures and safety cameras.
- When parking in public spaces, attempt to park close to mounted items that prohibit floor clearance across the car.
- In public parking garages and loads, park close to the entrance of the construction front or different spaces the place pedestrian site visitors is top.
Detectives are asking any person with data relating to catalytic converter thefts to touch the Lexington Police at (859) 258-3600. Anonymous pointers will also be submitted to Bluegrass Crime Stoppers by way of calling (859) 253-2020, on-line at www.bluegrasscrimestoppers.com, or in the course of the P3 pointers app to be had at www.p3tips.com.